Sunday, October 14, 2007

Lather, rinse, repeat

Although it seems like just yesterday that we got our exam scores for block 1, our second exam block is coming up faster than you can say "Off to the library!" This time, rather than 2 three-hour exams on a day, we have 3 three-hour exams spread out over the week, with study days in between. A little like college final week, if you will.

Still waiting for the adrenaline to kick in, so I can get studying hardcore. I've been keeping up with 2-4 hours a day, so I'm pretty comfortable with broad concepts, but now's the time to go back and find the niggling details. For instance, two of the genes that influence neural crest derivation are Phox2 and Sox10. I can't help thinking of Green Eggs and Ham.

There's some surprise on SDN that I'm able to live quite comfortably in New York City on 1k/month. Mostly that's thanks to my subsidized dorm room, but here's a breakdown of September's expenses, in case you're curious:

$660 -- Dorm
$150 -- Textbooks
$65 -- Transportation (including a $55 trip home)
$50 -- Food (both groceries and eating out)
$55 -- Entertainment
----------------------
$980

I guess my food category seems incredibly low, but you have to remember that this is med school. They practically throw free food at us. Most weeks, I can get 5 or 6 meals by going to various lunch and dinner meetings.

So there you have it. How to live in New York City on a student's budget.

----------------
Now playing: Elton John - Honky Cat
via FoxyTunes

No comments: